Sunday, January 24, 2010

Perfectly Lonely

"When are you gonna get a new boyfriend?"

Those words come more often than not from none other than my own dad. This may seem odd; traditionally, dads are the ones standing by the window with a shotgun scaring off every man who tries to court his daughter. Not mine.  Now, I know that my dad isn't really concerned about me having a new boyfriend. It's kind of like when he tells me my butt is getting big - he's just teasing me (I hope).

Here's the thing. I'm getting to the age where people are starting to settle down. It's the beginning of that time where you justify buying expensive dresses with the fact that you're sure there's a wedding in the near future you'll be able to wear it to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to get married and I'm pretty sure my dad isn't trying to marry me off quite yet either. It's just that time of life where you think about things like that more often.

So people start to worry that I'm still single at 23. Which is odd, because I'm not really that worried myself. They say, "there's NOBODY you're interested in right now?" Not really. My parents are both in the psychology field. I believe I've inherently been taught to look at people not just as who they are, but how they've been affected. What has happened to this person to make them like they are? What incidents in their lives give me a clue as to how I'll be treated; how I'll end up in the situation. I am going to dissect a person to the fullest, to find out everything I need to know about them in order to put my trust in their hands. Maybe it's selfish, but I know it's necessary.

The thing is, I am lucky enough to have my parents as an example of how to treat a relationship. My parents still hold hands, go on dates, etc. They are the ideal couple. They are the prime example of how to do it. They are what I want to have. So it's their fault I'm single - and that's not a bad thing. I'm picky. My parents unknowingly set my standards to high levels and I'm not going to budge. I don't want just anyone. My parents taught me better than that.

So, Dad, I don't know when I'm going to get a new boyfriend. (And I hope you're still joking about my butt getting big.) But just like you drilled into my head that I should never end a sentence with a preposition, that I should always have cash on me at all times, and to put my milk in the mug before the coffee so you don't need a spoon to mix it, you've also showed me how to do it - how to pick the right person and make it work. They say you marry someone like your dad and when I do, I know I'll be in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment