Friday, June 5, 2009

Oops.

So I realized my first and last post was over three months ago. Oops. Apparently I'm not a very loyal blogger.

I'm going to go ahead and blame it on Twitter.

The thing about Twitter is that I only have to dedicate a few minutes of my time to come up with 140 clever characters to tell 100 something people what I'm doing/thinking/feeling/seeing...etc. I can tweet on-the-go on my phone, in the car, at work, in the grocery store, on a date, in a matter of seconds. I can even add a photo to give my 100+ readers a visual of what I'm talking about. It literally takes 2 minutes to do it all.

With a blog, I have to commit time. I have to think about what I want to write and how to say it so that people will be interested. Nobody wants to read a blog post that looks like this:

"I'll be honest. I'm trying out Bing for a while, mostly because it reminds me of Chandler."
[my last tweet]

But for some reason, people will read it in Twitter. In a blog, it's a waste of time. In Twitter, it's profound. Why? Maybe because in a blog, the reader has to make a commitment. They have to make a commitment to my blog, and my blog only. They have to leave the website they were on before, to commit their time to ME. And then they read that up there ^ and they are ultimately disappointed. Because they commited themselves to me, and that's all I gave them.

But in Twitter, there's no commitments. They can read my 140 characters about Bing being compared to Chandler, and .5 seconds later, they get to read someone else's 140 characters about how it's raining outside (why bother to look out the window?) and .5 seconds later, they can read their favorite celebrity's tweet about how they're eating their favorite kind of ice cream. No commitments neccessary.

So in the end, that's what it's all about. Commitment. I can commit 30 minutes to typing a 4 paragraph blog post that maybe four people will read, or I can commit 2 minutes to typing 140 characters and even getting to add a picture for my 110 followers to see. And readers can learn about my life, without commiting, by reading my one sentence tweets.

So for those of you with problems with commitment: branch out and remember the Starbucks, The Way I See It # 76:
The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as a rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment